Monday, February 8, 2010

A different Sort of Daily Affirmations - a Thought for Today

A different Sort of Daily Affirmations - a Thought for Today
Category: Life


DAILY AFFIRMATIONS

The following have been suggested as some ineffective daily affirmations:

- I have the power to channel my imagination into ever-soaring
levels of suspicion and paranoia.

- I assume full responsibility for my actions, except the ones that
are someone else's fault.

- I no longer need to punish, deceive or compromise myself. Unless,
of course, I want to stay employed.

- I honor my personality flaws, for without them I would have no
personality at all.

- I am grateful that I am not as judgmental as all those censorious,
self-righteous people around me.

- I need not suffer in silence while I can still moan, whimper and
complain.

- The first step is to say nice things about myself. The second, to
do nice things for myself. The third, to find someone to buy me nice
things.

- All of me is beautiful and valuable, even the ugly, stupid, and
disgusting parts.

- Only a lack of imagination saves me from immobilizing myself with
imaginary fears.

- Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are
no sweeter words than "I told you so."

- A good scapegoat is nearly as welcome as a solution to the problem.

- Just for today, I will not sit in my living room all day watching
TV. Instead I will move my TV into the bedroom.

- I will find humor in my everyday life by looking for people I can
laugh at.

- I am willing to make the mistakes if someone else is willing to
learn from them.

There's obviously not a single one of the affirmations above that provides a foundation for successful living. So what can we "affirm" daily that will give us the strength we need to face the difficulties that each day bring?

Allow me to share with you two affirmations from scripture:

"[The accusers] had some questions against him about their own religion
and about a certain Jesus, who had died, whom Paul affirmed to be alive." (Acts
25:19)

"This is a faithful saying, and these things I want you to affirm
constantly, that those who have believed in God should be careful to maintain good
works." (Titus 3:8)

If we will affirm daily (acknowledging God's power) that Jesus Christ was not left in the tomb, but is a risen Savior, and if we will affirm daily (acknowledging our responsibility) that we ought to live lives of obedient faith, then we truly have the foundation to meet whatever life sends our way.

Have a great day!

Alan Smith
Helen Street Church of Christ
Fayetteville, North Carolina



People often say with pride, “I’m not interested in politics.” They might as well say, “I’m not interested in my standard of living, my health, my job, my rights, my freedoms, my future, or any future.”
— Martha Gellhorn, writer/journalist (1908-1998)

Live simply. Love generously.
Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment